Pages

Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes Trilogy, #1)Once you’ve seen, you can’t unsee. Everything changes when you’ve looked at the world through . . .

ANGEL EYES

Brielle’s
a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She’s come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can’t seem to shake.

Jake’s the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what’s going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.

A realm that only angels and demons—and Brielle—can perceive.



 Violent Content
The violence in this is not as graphic as it could have been, but it was still fairly intense. A woman is supposed to have been beaten to death by her boyfriend. Angels and demons have battles that are pretty comparable to a E10+ video game. A demon wounds a girl in order to force a boy to reveal his talent, she ends up dying. All and all, the violence was not a problem, very minor.


Sexual Content
I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of sexual content in the book, considering that it does have a romance that figures hugely into the plot. 
The romance was spectacular, Shannon managed to show that Brielle was attracted to Jake, without going overboard. Brielle is very acutely aware of where Jake is, and when he touches her (which he does mostly accidentally) but it's not entirely because she likes him. It also has to do with the fact that he has an aura of otherworldly (!) heat around him. I loved how she kept it realistic(to the extent of my knowledge), but still very very clean.
Brielle is flustered at one point, and blurts out "Why are you so hot?" referring to the fact that his hands are very hot, and doesn't really think about how it would sound. This leads to some funny, gentle joking on his part. 
However, Brielle's friend refers to Jake as "Hot Guy," which is uncomfortable for Brielle, and a bit annoying to me as a reader. Brielle's friend also says that Brielle needs a "'fling' with a hot guy" The extent of what she considers a 'fling' is not specified, but Brielle recognizes that a 'fling' with a 'hot guy' is the last thing she needs.
Jake kisses Brielle, and after he leaves, she realizes that she left her phone at his house, and she comments that her resolve doesn't stand a chance if she heads back to get it. The statement could be taken multiple ways.
Jake is showing Brielle around his house, and they sit on his bed while he explains the whole angel/demon shenanigans. Canaan comes in, and Brielle fully recognizes how the situation might be perceived as awkward.
Brielle mentions that her friend never bought into "All that crap about sex and youth being all that was in demand."
We learn that a girl was pregnant with her boyfriend's child. This is not condemned or encouraged.
One of the demons is a leader of a human trafficking ring, and there's a scene where 'buyers' are coming to look at the 'merchandise.' Maybe it's just me, but, while I had a good idea of what was going on, I didn't know exactly what it was until I saw an anti-human trafficking add in the back. The scenes were handled very delicately, and I don't think they're a big problem.


Language
Some very mild language was used. Crap was used maybe twice, and I think that was it.




Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. I loved this book so much I can't even tell you. It was amazing, and I'm not just saying that because I just read it. Actually, I just read it yesterday, so you're safe from stupid fan-girl raving. :)
This is one of the few young-adult books that I would hand to my friends with minimal hesitation. Honestly, the sexual content, while it may look like a lot, you never even really notice it. Well, you do, but, anyway, it's not a huge part of the story. It was handled very delicately, and you could tell that Shannon knew what she was doing.
I adore this book, it had a whole new perspective to spiritual warfare that I'd never really dwelt on before. It was wonderfully written, had an engaging plot, and a heartwrenchingly real heroine. Not to mention an amazingly concerned and attentive hero.
I rate it PG. That's how low the content in it was. It sounds like a lot the way I put it, but it really isn't. I highly recommend the book, and can't say enough about how I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about this book lately. It looks very intriguing! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for looking at my blog!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE to get comments! Even if they don't exactly pertain to anything in the post...So, feel free to comment!